27 May 2007

Mission accomplished, and then some

My goal of running a 10 miler was met, and exceeded. A couple weeks ago Justin and I decided that it would be fun to run my first real 10 along the Bridal Path, which the Fenzl's live along, so we started at their house. I wanted to run it in a place where I had no idea of how far I'd gone. Me not knowing the distance paid off...again. After returning, Justin told me, that we ran 12 miles. I was actually hoping that we had run more than 10 because it was substantially more painful than that previous 9.5. That previous 9.5 was actually unplanned and therefore and an exploitation of a good day of running. Contrary to that day, yesterday was planned weeks ahead of time, so I was going to run it regardless of how I felt (which actually wasn't all that great to begin with). At two points during the run we stopped and *borrowed* some Gatorade from the lovely Aztec Architects Team in Training Stations (hey, it was out of paper cone cups...that makes it game).

I probably should not have stopped at that second station because
it was at that point that I actually had the "I don't think I'll
be able to finish" thought. I was shaky and nauseous and I really had to pee. But...I kept going and finished on my feet =)

These 12 miles were not run quickly by any means. I averaged between 13.5 and 14 minute miles. Yes, very very slow. So we were out for almost 3 hours (Justin informed me that he usually runs that same route in about 2 hours)



After we realized that we had forgotten our swimsuits, we decided not to jump in the pool as planned (I'm all for a skinny dip, but not with my brother, awwwwkwaaard). Instead we went to the Eggery for breakfast. I had such a delicious omelet with spinach, broccoli, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, water chestnuts and brie. I put that away real quick!

Now, there was a second part to the 10 mile goal that I wasn't about to skip. The second part was to go to the dive bar that is 2 short blocks from the house to celebrate the glorious feat. Justin always intended on going there just to see what it was like because it is a 1 minute walk from the house. So this gave us a reason to go. This part of the goal was met as well =) It was actually a rather charming place inside, considering its weird location and horribly unattractive exterior.

In the words of Justin...nothing can replace the glycogen quite like beer.

Photos are courtesy of Justin ;)

No comments: