05 December 2007

do-gooder.

I listened to a story on the radio this morning. It was about a factory owner who brought more than 50 men over from India and used them for cheap labor in his factory. Of course he promised them long-term work and green cards. The men were treated terribly; very little food, verbal abuse, unfit living quarters, deportation, etc. After a bit of time some of these men escaped (yes, they were told they could not leave the factory) and were helped by a nice man they met at a church which they snuck to every so often.

This guy who rescued them from their situation said he persisted in helping them even though it wasn't "easy". He said that other church members stopped helping because it took several tries, which of course meant that it wasn't "God's will". Wow. Such sincere helpers.

I suppose a good deed is a good deed is a good deed. No matter the reason - a good deed was done (geez!). I wonder though, if it there would be any differece in number or frequency if the deeds were done for different reasons. I'm not neccessarily saying I am in the right, I am just pondering the thought. If these othere church people didn't rely only on God's will for a reason for the deed, the other church guy might have had alot more help - well, that's what I think.

I do things for other people because I like to and because at times I get something out of it for me. I don't do it for karma, or to go to heaven, or because someone told me to. I do it simply because it's nice, I might get something out of it, and because it makes me feel good. Some of us do things out of altruism, but that's a rather difficult thing to judge.

On that note; why not take the credit for doing something good? Why do you have to say you are doing it because God told you to? I don't see anything wrong with doing something and saying you did it to feel good. After all, the good thing got done!!

All-in-all I'm glad this church guy helped out these men from India. They were able to escape the maltreatment of Mr. Freak Man. Good work Mr. Church!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

word!

Anonymous said...

merry christmaaaaas!