30 July 2007

Festival Weekend, Water Tower, and Finnish Dinner





This weekend was incredible. There was enough activity to fill a week! Sooo, on Friday Ika and I went into Karis for a BBQ at her friend's place after visiting a celebration of the town of Karis; a street festival type gathering. I went with Ika's sister Frida from the BBQ (Ika had to work the night shift so I stayed with Frida for the weekend) to Ekenäs. We went to the European Peoples Festival there. This was a week-long festival where people from, I think, about 17 nations around Europe gathered to represent their countries. The picture above is of the outside stage where groups from different countries performed various things. In the daytime, the inside portion of the festival had booths for all the countries with information and special things to buy. However, at night it turned into a big party. That...was a blast. Partying is definitely a universal concept! The picture above is of me and a super nice guy from Scotland.

On Saturday Frida and I started our day (well, the day began at about 2pm) at Faces, another multicultural festival. It was a really great festival, in spite of the crumby weather. I felt almost as if I'd gone back to Bellingham for a day. It was a giant hippyfest. I ate some great food, listened to some interesting music and met some awesome friends of Frida. Later after Faces, we went back to the EPF and hung out with the Scotish lads again.

On Sunday we went to Faces again. Then Frida took me to what she called a "secret place". It ended up being the water tower in Karis. She got the key to it and we climbed the 104 stairs to the top and peered out over the town. It was great to see everything from above; it gave me some perspective (the picture is of she and I at the top, albeit a bit greasy). She drove us, on her motorcycle, to Mona's for some food. Then drove me to the summer house to meet Ika and Sebbe. That evening we ate dinner with Sebbe's family at their house (picture above).

So much fun. Tomorrow: Helsinki!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So would that make it Reservoir Broads?

Anonymous said...

Howdy partner!
Hope your flight went well and that you feel content with your european experience! Hope to hear from you soon! Lovies

Deborah said...

some random scottish guy, eh?

well it's finally august...so you're coming back soon and I am sooooo excited to see you!!

have fun with the rest of your trip and call me when you get in!!!!!

xoxo

Deb

Anonymous said...

I miss my american friend.. Hope you are doing well over there, and that the continentchange went well. I really liked reading your blog, went all nostalgic here at work. Lots of love/Frida.

Ana said...

Welcome back to the convection oven ;) !!!